bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 13th Sep 2010, 13:45   #1
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Enermax make a 'Bad' PSU...?

Looking at HardOCP I saw this, a review for the Enermax Revolution 85+ 1020W , and I was confused as to why Enermax would release it. It brings nothing new to the table, and going by the US prices it's practically the same price as the 1050W model. All in all very odd.
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Asus 780 Posiedon Platinium, 512GB Crucial Mx1000, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2010, 22:35   #2
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Pete View Post
Looking at HardOCP I saw this, a review for the Enermax Revolution 85+ 1020W , and I was confused as to why Enermax would release it. It brings nothing new to the table, and going by the US prices it's practically the same price as the 1050W model. All in all very odd.
It's probably just a rehash of the old model, the wouldn't be the first bunch to do this just to shift a few more units . Intel being a prime example of that with the 930/950 taking over from the 920/940, same CPU just with a little bit more on top, not that it's a bad thing and it give the sale a boost aswell.
bulldogjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2010, 23:40   #3
TheHalfWit
Call me dino

TheHalfWit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Actually if you look over the specifications carefully, the 1020 is clearly aimed at reducing manufacturing costs. They reduced the manufacturing costs by reducing the rails, and they probably applied lessons learned with the 1050 to further increase reliability. They also cut one or two of the features from the 1020 that they had in the 1050, for example, they had an led in the 1050's specification section that is not mentioned in the 1020's.

Its a product refresh to reduce costs on their end, and increase reliability on the end users end, it happens all the time, intel does it, amd does it, nvidia does it, everyone in the tech industry does it at least once with each new product line.
/Power-Folding Rig\ HAF 932 + Asus P6T deluxe V2 mobo + i7 920@stock (OC@3.8ghz) + NH-U12P Core i7 Edition + 6GB corsair DDR3 1600 ram + Gigabyte Gtx 295 Rev.2 + 2 1TB seagate barracuda 7200.12 HD's + TX750 Corsair PSU
/Lan Rig\ CM Storm Scout + Asus P5E3 Pro + E8400@4.15 (max 4.4ghz) + CM V8 + 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600 ram+HIS 5770 + 1 750 GB seagate barracuda 7200.12 HD + HX750 Corsair PSU
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2010, 23:52   #4
urobulos
Supermodder

urobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremelurobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd say most Enermax PSUs are "bad". They might seem awesome until you realize that Corsair, Silverstone, Antex and XFX can also make very high quality PSUs which in real world scenarios will perform the same, but will not carry a 30% markup just because it has Enermax written on it.

My point is that their PSUs are deffinately good quality, but it is easy to get quality in overpriced products. That's why I have more respect for companies which can create equivalent products for less.
urobulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2010, 20:59   #5
Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Enermax PSU are the most rock solid ones though, proved by multiple sources. Which is the weird thing about this one as it's rails aren't as steady...
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Asus 780 Posiedon Platinium, 512GB Crucial Mx1000, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 09:49   #6
okenobi
Ultramodder

okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urobulos View Post
I'd say most Enermax PSUs are "bad". They might seem awesome until you realize that Corsair, Silverstone, Antex and XFX can also make very high quality PSUs which in real world scenarios will perform the same, but will not carry a 30% markup just because it has Enermax written on it.

My point is that their PSUs are deffinately good quality, but it is easy to get quality in overpriced products. That's why I have more respect for companies which can create equivalent products for less.
Really??

Don't respect companies. They are primarily out to make money. Enermax make exceptional PSUs and charge exceptional prices. The only reason anyone makes a cheaper unit (irrespective of quality) is to make more money in another market segment - not to gain your respect.

As already mentioned, it's just a revision of an existing unit. The fact that they are concurrently available is what makes it look odd. But it's certainly not a "bad" unit.
okenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 10:05   #7
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

EVERYONE in the PSU industry makes a 30% markup. It's why everyone "develops" their own - it's a high margin product but Corsair Silverstone, Antec and XFX do not make their own. They might tweak some designs but they certainly don't do any manufacturing or foundation topology development - in fact, they probably all use the same factory, unlike Enermax who has its own (and has other companies like Sapphire buying its designs!).

I agree it may seem overpriced versus the competition, that's Enermax's choice and I've told them before, but it's fallen on deaf ears. It's their ONE product line that makes them money though so they need to make money from it. I also agree that "meh" most PSUs work in real world scenarios - don't pay more than you need to. And Enermax has made bad PSUs before - the Liberty series was a POS and the original MOD82+ and Pro82+ had an issue with one of the caps popping after about 6 months.

Seasonic, for example, knowingly charges a premium on own branded models so it doesn't piss off its OEM partners who take its designs and sell them for less. Seasonic still makes money and people still buy their stuff.

You might say you have more respect for people who don't rip you off, but personally I have the opposite feeling. The companies that do the work and know the product - who are more than brand and a flashy logo - they get my respect. I might not buy their product but they still deserve credit.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 15:13   #8
urobulos
Supermodder

urobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremelurobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I understand every company is trying to make a profit on their sales and I've never been loyal to any company just because of its name or past reputation. My point is that other companies sell PSUs (I also understand that most retailers rebadge units made in the same two factories in Taiwan, unlike Enermax) which will have same wattage, rock solid stability, very high efficiency, great build quality, but will cost 20-30% less than an equivalent Enermax product. Maybe there are some reasons for the price difference, but unless you have a few thousand pounds worth of PSU testing equipment the end user will never notice the difference. I respect a company when I feel they offer you a quality product and good value for money. If they stop doing that, my money goes somewhere else. Enermax in general make very high quality products, but their PSUs are overpriced for one reason or another. I'm at the end of the chain and as a consumer I am not bothered whether they charge silly prices because PSUs are their only business or some other reason.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 15:16   #9
urobulos
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post

Seasonic, for example, knowingly charges a premium on own branded models so it doesn't piss off its OEM partners who take its designs and sell them for less. Seasonic still makes money and people still buy their stuff.

You might say you have more respect for people who don't rip you off, but personally I have the opposite feeling. The companies that do the work and know the product - who are more than brand and a flashy logo - they get my respect. I might not buy their product but they still deserve credit.
Then we can agree to disagree. For me the only thing that matters is getting a quality product at a low price. I feel that it shouldn't be my concern how that happens.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 16:20   #10
okenobi
Ultramodder

okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
For me the only thing that matters is getting a quality product at a low price.
And this, ladies and gentleman, is what drives the entire global market economy.

Myopia is a wonderful thing...
Old 15th Sep 2010, 18:34   #11
urobulos
Supermodder

??? I don't get you at all. Attempts to deliver better products, to a broader range of consumers at a lower price is the foundation of technological progress of a society. Obviously if a company behaves in an illegal or immoral way, the consumer should not use the services of said company. But these are extreme cases and this is not what we were talking about before.

Bindi raised the issue that part of the reason why Enermax have different prices is their bussiness model. A company has the right to choose their own bussiness model and all power to them, as long as the company is profitable and the customers are satisfied. To me, Enermax's product offer very poor value for money. Sometimes you get an enthusiast product which offers 1 or 2% more performance but can carry a 20 or 30% higher price tag. Problem with PSU's is that Enermax's competitors make very high quality products which offer the same performance and sell them cheaper. Their marketing might try and justify why their PSU's are better and why you should pay more for your money to the company, but PSU tests on numerous websites have shown that many Corsair, Seasonic, XFX models deliver same levels of performance.
Calling me short sighted because I think the consumer should only be concerned with the product itself rather than excuses is a bit low. I'm getting some weird vibe here, but I will leave it here because something tells me this discussion might go from tech to politics and it is something I would rather stay away from on bit-tech.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 19:30   #12
Bloody_Pete

I love these PSU's personally, as they are utterly rock solid. They are also massively efficient and quiet. If I sent several thousand pounds on a computer I'd want to best PSU money can buy.

Your arguement is void as in this segment of the market getting the best product is what people want, otherwise 480's would never sell, nor would 5970's. All the supercars still get buyers, even if there is a better one or one at a lower price. The look and feel of these PSU's are like no other, they feel rock solid and they look great.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 19:37   #13
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I really like the Enermax PSU.

So I have to agree with Pete.

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed

Last edited by Teelzebub; 15th Sep 2010 at 23:35.
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2010, 22:31   #14
urobulos
Supermodder

Quote:
I love these PSU's personally, as they are utterly rock solid. They are also massively efficient and quiet. If I sent several thousand pounds on a computer I'd want to best PSU money can buy.

Your arguement is void as in this segment of the market getting the best product is what people want, otherwise 480's would never sell, nor would 5970's. All the supercars still get buyers, even if there is a better one or one at a lower price. The look and feel of these PSU's are like no other, they feel rock solid and they look great.
Looks is something I haven't thought about as I am not a fan of side panels and these are the best looking PSUs.

As for the second part... I checked the prices on Scan. Enermax have a wide range of PSUs. Their Revolution 85+ 1250W model is a great unit. Yes, it is expensive, but if you really, really need 1250W of stable power for your rig then it is perfect. Only unit offered by Scan that would compare to it is the Corsair Professional series which is even more expensive (!).
Yet, anything below 1000W (vast majority of their PSUs) and another company can do it just as well and cheaper.
Old 16th Sep 2010, 09:42   #15
okenobi
Ultramodder

Look again at what specific part of the post I quoted.

Nobody wants to pay what things are "worth" any more. Everybody wants a shortcut, instant gratification, the best product for the cheapest price.

Enermax know (as do ATI and nVidia as the quoted examples above) that some people will still pay for "the best". Being in that segment is very exclusive and difficult to maintain when people all around you are bowing to the "best price" mentality of western society.

Once upon a time people paid for what they got and were happy with that. Now everybody just wants the best price and doesn't care how they arrive at it.

Another classic example is car insurance. Nobody cares about the quality of the product, they just want the cheapest price. Car insurance isn't sexy, neither are PSUs, so people don't care.

If I'm spending a lot of money on ANYTHING, I like to get value. The "best price" is not my concern. But I'm in the minority and you are appearing to be in the majority. Hence my earlier post.
Old 16th Sep 2010, 15:38   #16
Bloody_Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by okenobi View Post
Look again at what specific part of the post I quoted.

Nobody wants to pay what things are "worth" any more. Everybody wants a shortcut, instant gratification, the best product for the cheapest price.

Enermax know (as do ATI and nVidia as the quoted examples above) that some people will still pay for "the best". Being in that segment is very exclusive and difficult to maintain when people all around you are bowing to the "best price" mentality of western society.

Once upon a time people paid for what they got and were happy with that. Now everybody just wants the best price and doesn't care how they arrive at it.

Another classic example is car insurance. Nobody cares about the quality of the product, they just want the cheapest price. Car insurance isn't sexy, neither are PSUs, so people don't care.

If I'm spending a lot of money on ANYTHING, I like to get value. The "best price" is not my concern. But I'm in the minority and you are appearing to be in the majority. Hence my earlier post.
Perfectly summed up
Old 16th Sep 2010, 16:53   #17
urobulos
Supermodder

Where did I say "cheapest" ???????????

Did you guys even read what I wrote?? Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Antec PSUs cheapest ? What? Quality costs, but does not have to be overpriced. And we are talking utilitarian items. These are not luxury cars where design and a high price tag are as important as specs.

Explain to me why this is 138 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850W-...-Year-Warranty while this is 170 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850W-...eakPower-1020W. Please tell me what is behind the price difference. Or tell me how the HX850 is a "cheap" product. Even better, explain to me the advantages of paying 121 for this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/720W-...Free-Gift-Fan; 140 (!) for this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/600W-...plus2-GOLD-PSU or 161 (!!) for this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/700W-...plus2-GOLD-PSU. To help you out compare those units with this 97 unit http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650W-...-Certification or this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750W-...r-Power-Supply and this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850W-...iet-Fan-80plus.

You tell me I should not be "respecting" companies because they are out there to make a profit from their customers, while you glorify a company which is more guilty of such behaviour than its competitors. WTH?

And pretty much your entire post puts your ideas into what I said. Please... "Nobody wants to pay what things are "worth" any more." I ask: what? again. I do want to pay what things are worth, not what a company would like me to pay when its competitors can apparently sell quality products for less. Please keep your simplistic ideas to yourself. You take bits of someones forum post, apparently without understanding them, and from there you extrapolate outlandish ideas and attribute them to me. I'm not even sure I should go on as I assume by now anything I say will be met with a reply which completely misses the point.

What I care about is getting a quality product for a good price. Enermax only do the quality product part, hence for many people they are a rip off.

As for the very best. A 5970 Toxic or a 480AMP! are examples of overclocked, superpowerful cards. They ignore value completely, but if you want the very best and can afford than you buy such cards. The Enermax Revolution 1250 is an equivalent of those when it comes to the PSU market. But all their other PSU models are similar to those factory OCd 470s, and 450s. Woudl you buy an Asus TOP 450? Pay a 20-30% price premium because it says Overclocked when a stock GTX 460 can be bought for the same price and kicks the crap out of it.

No sir. To return your earlier attitude, to me you seem a person who is happy to pay a price premium to a company just because a product has a high price tag, therefore it must be "better" The unwashed masses apparently want to buy good products for what they are worth, and that is behaviour below your own high standards.

Continuing with your example, when I buy insurance I do not look for the one which is cheapest because there is no such thing as free stuff in this world. You get what you pay for, unless a company decides to charge a premium because it's bussiness model is uncompetitive. The highest insurance rates often offer some nice perks, but sometimes a company just wants to rip you off, or is run inefficiently and has higher overhead.

Last edited by urobulos; 16th Sep 2010 at 17:09.
Old 16th Sep 2010, 17:15   #18
Bloody_Pete

If you go onto HardOCP's reviews or even BT/CPC's reviews of PSU's then you can see the difference. The HX850, while being a great PSU, has alot more variation on its rails the any of the Revolution85+ PSU's, it is also alot less efficient and slightly more noisy. The Enermax PSU's are the closes to 'perfection' that any PSU has ever come close to. That is why it costs more, as the R&D, design and components cost more. If you are pushing for high overclocks a wobbly rail is really not what you want.

This is like saying why have people got i7 960's, as the 920 or 930 perform just as well, but I have still seen several people on here with them, as they do run higher most of the time, with less voltage.
Old 16th Sep 2010, 17:24   #19
urobulos
Supermodder

"The HX850, while being a great PSU, has alot more variation on its rails the any of the Revolution85+ PSU's, it is also alot less efficient and slightly more noisy" True, but then ask yourself how much money do you save by having 3-4 % more efficiency even if the PSU is on 24/7 under 100 % load (which almost neve happens except for folding farms). Even in the extreme case it is a few pounds per year. It also has more variation, but it is still very low. What practical effect do those values have on your equipment. Will your components have a shorter life span, higher instability when using an HX850 instead of a Revolution 85+ Imagine if one day, say, graphics reach the level of photorealism while displaying 100 trillion polygons per second. Would a card able to display 300 trillion polygons be better? Would you pay more for one? Yes it has higher specs. But do they actualy translate into anything real?

In any case, I'm not that bothered. As long as Enermax don't hold people at gunpoint and force customers to pay silly prices for their products then there's no problem. Your money, if you are happy to spend it on a product then what difference does it make to me. I did get annoyed by okenobi's posts and some of the things he was implying. That was uncalled for. At least when you bring up reviews then that is something specific to discuss. I do read HardOCP reviews and I've yet to see in them features that would make me want to pay more for an Enermax unit.

Last edited by urobulos; 16th Sep 2010 at 17:35.
Old 16th Sep 2010, 20:04   #20
pac-man
Modder

pac-man has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got an Enermax Infiniti 720W PSU in my rig and it's been rock solid since day 1. Easily handled everything I've thrown at it without much fuss/noise.
pac-man is offline   Reply With Quote