bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 5th Dec 2004, 18:55   #1
webbyman
Hax.

webbyman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sata 80gb drive which one ?

i have been looking at hdd for my new pc i have decided to go with just an 80gb hdd as i will upgrade at a later point for extra storage, i will have a windows partision about 10gb and on for programs/games about 40 then about 15gb for just plain storage.

im not sure what hdd to get
im currently looking at
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB SATA150 here
-Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 80GB SATA150
here
-Samsung SpinPoint P80 80GB SATA150 here

any ideas on which ones better, although i maybe able to get the samsung one about $6 cheaper
webbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2004, 19:45   #2
Austin
I *am* a Dremel

Austin has yet to learn the way of the DremelAustin has yet to learn the way of the DremelAustin has yet to learn the way of the DremelAustin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Admittedly without looking much into it Seagate would be easily the best choice considering their reputation for reliability, cool operation, quiet operation, native SATA implimentation and most crucially the 5 years warranty (others likely to be 1 year only). Do consider paying that few quid extra for 120GB though, you'll be surprised how quickly your HD may fill up.

Technology is flying, who can keep up?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2004, 19:53   #3
webbyman
Hax.

proberly not that quickly as im currently on a 40gb hdd lol
it has 2 partisions xp pro 1, xp pro 2...
xp pro 1 is messed up, and xp pro two works a wonder
but i cant delete or formate partsion 1 for some reason proberly something to do , with is having an operating system or something? lol i tryed loads of thing, of corse non of which are successful.

wouldent it run faster if i use 2 hdds use one for xp and storage the otherone for program files? or somthing

and if i were to do with 2 im not sure if i would bother with raid0
Old 5th Dec 2004, 20:51   #4
Austin
I *am* a Dremel

Austin has yet to learn the way of the DremelAustin has yet to learn the way of the DremelAustin has yet to learn the way of the DremelAustin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
RAID's perf boost is way over-rated and IMHO not worth bothering with for us average consumers, you'd want to match the drives as closely as possible anyway, so dismiss it on 2 grounds! You could probably solve your partition thing given more time and effort but with HDs so cheap and fast (compared to a few years ago) it simply makes too much sense to buy a new one.

Things won't be hugely faster when using 2 HDs and there's plenty of advice precisely how to arrange things but I would suggest using one HD for your OS, programs and games and the other for the swap file, temporary files, general storage and some backups (not the only backups of course). Another way would be to put the OS on one drive and all programs and games on the other but that can get awfully messy IMHO. Either of these ways you'll be maximising the potential of having 2 HDs as for most things both will be functioning simultaneously most of the time. You may want to use both for the swap file, apparently WinXP can use a sort of RAID style optimisation which yields a little boost. I doubt you'd notice any diff but why not give it a go?

Technology is flying, who can keep up?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2004, 21:47   #5
webbyman
Hax.

i might just go with the 80gb seagate hdd there seek time seems to be the fastest,everyone sais they are quite, reliable, good quality and pretty cheap so i think i will go for it im going to have a partision for xp 10gb a partision for programs and games then a small one just for some storage (i will just set 'my documents' and 'my music' up for it)
Old 6th Dec 2004, 03:35   #6
Zephyr
Go V-Boy, Go!

Zephyr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if you're after sheer speed, why not spring for the 74GB Raptor?

i would also suggest the Seagate, or a WD, as ive had good experiences with both companies
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2004, 03:49   #7
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Don't do RAID 0 - it just doesn't outweigh the risks and hassles.
You won't notice any real difference with windows on one drive and other stuff on the other. A tiny bit with copying and pasting huge files from one to the other, but I doubt you'll be doing that often enough to notice.

I'd also say Seagate or WD. Maxtor's not a bad bet either. I think in the long run I've had the best experience with WD drives. Haven't used enough recent drives to notice a big difference in noise or heat... before I had my own computer it was an OLD box and they all had loud drives, and all drives that I've purchased myself have been SATA and the only thing I've noticed is the raptors are expectedly a tiny bit hotter, although I don't notice any extra noise.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2004, 04:29   #8
user0001
Supermodder

user0001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung's seeks are quieter than Seagate's. Supposedly run cooler too, but mine feels about the same.
user0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2004, 10:17   #9
Prophet
Supermodder

Prophet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitProphet is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
i got the 200Gb seagate model, and i have to say its great. Its fsat, quite, seems pretty reliable and didnt break the bank. But one thing i would say as mentioned above, spend a lil extra and get a slightly larger drive... Even if its mean u wont have to upgrade for an extra 6months the prices hardly break the bank. Extra 17 to the 120Gb then another 5 ontop to the 160Gb at www.aria.co.uk.

Proph.
Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2004, 15:50   #10
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I've got one of those hitachi ones, not much to say really, it works fine, about as quick as my maxtors (but no where near as quick as the raptor I just replaced it with), about averagely quiet and cool, but ti makes funny 'mewing' noises every 5-10 minutes that I thought was my cat stuck somewhere....
I'm sure that wasn't helpful in the slightest...
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2004, 17:07   #11
webbyman
Hax.

i would get a raptor but they are too god dam expensive i saw the 36gb ones going for $50 in the bargin bin a while ago but i was too late, i would have brough one aswell

i think i will go for the seagate still now sure which one